What is LIKS
Lithuanian Computer Society (the abbreviation, used further in the text, is LIKS) is a voluntary and independently acting social association of computer and software users, specialists and amateurs in informatics and computer science.
LIKS acts according to the Constitution of the Lithuanian Republic, to the Law of social organizations and other laws of the Republic, to the decisions of the Lithuanian Government; LIKS activity is based on the Statute.
The Constituent Congress of the LIKS took place on September 19-21, 1989. Officially LIKS was registrated on January 29, 1990. The headquarters of LIKS are in the capital of Lithuania Vilnius.
THE GOALS OF LIKS
LIKS aims at:
- stimulating progress of computerization and development of informatics as a perspective and important
modern science and industry branch in Lithuania;
- forming the opinion of the society and the Government on questions of the use and management of the state’s
information resources and information technologies;
- taking care of the preparation and improvement of the professional skills of specialists and users in computers
and informatics; taking care of teaching informatics and computers in the general education schools;
- stimulating and supporting professional contacts and exchange of the urgent problem domain information,
developing internal and international contacts and relationships;
- raising professional ethic of LIKS members, helping them in defending their author’s rights, representing
professional and author’s interests of Lithuanian computer specialists both in Lithuania and abroad.
FORMS OF LIKS ACTIVITIES
Lithuanian Computer Society:
- organises meetings, conferences, discussions, seminars, courses, training, camps and other relevant events or
supports their organization;
- proclaims competitions and contests, appoints LIKS premiums, stipends, presents candidates for receiving
state and other premiums;
- issues periodical, continued and one-time editions, disseminates new information, informs society about LIKS
activity using mass media and other means;
- maintains contacts and co-operates via contracts with different social, state, and private organizations in
Lithuania and abroad, which have common aims in their activities;
- by its own initiative or on the basis of contracts and orders organises professional events, executes authorial
examinations, develops original projects, software and other authorial products, important to computerization
and development of informatics in the state.